|What are the steps of the application process?
Any institution applying for an E-rate discount must work through the following steps:
Find more detailed information about the application process at the following sites:
- Assess your institution's technology status.
- Write institutional technology plan to be approved by a state agency.
- Submit FCC form 470 describing services desired to the School and Library Division of the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC). Providers will bid for the proposal.
- Select the provider(s) that offer the most cost effective solutions after 28-day waiting period.
- Submit form 471 to request discount for services.
- After service begins, file form 486 to inform SLD to pay contracted provider.
- If required, submit form 472 to receive retroactive reimbursements.
- Certify on Form 486 actions taken to meet the requirements of the Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA).
< Back to the E-Rate Resource Center